Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Then and Now.....

I was in the 2nd standard when my Catechism teacher asked the class, "How many of you want to become priests or nuns?". All but one, raised their hands. The next question was, "How many of you want to get married?". There was just one hand up. That was mine. I knew I wanted to get married when I was in class 2 and I'm still happily single. 99% of the prospective priests and nuns are now providentially married; some of them already have kids.

When my brother was little, his response to the question of getting married was a little wierd; a little innocent. He wanted to walk down the aisle with just one lovely lady. He was very determined. The chosen one was my mommy. He would tell mommy, "If you don't get married to me, I won't get married at all". Remind him of it now and he will ask you, "Are you mad???".
What do you want to become when you grow up, child? Doctor or engineer or pilot is what you'll hear most of the time. A lady once came home with her little son. Not knowing what to talk to the little fellow, mommy asked, "What do you want to become when you grow up?". Immediately came the caustic reply, "ROBBER". I was shocked. He was barely six years old and he wanted to become a robber. Luckily, the little one is now pursuing higher studies in the IT field.

When my sister was little and was asked about her future plans, there was just one reply, "THE JUDGE OF THE SUPREME COURT". Judge, and that too of the supreme court?? Huh!!! God alone knows when she changed her plans. She would be the worst judge. Mommy gave us Horlicks or Bournvita every night before going to bed. She couldn't even judge three glasses properly. She wanted to have the highest quantity and the glass had to be full. Mommy was very intelligent. She would place two half-filled big glasses and one fully filled small glass. My sister was given the special advantage of choosing her glass first. Immediately she would grab the fully filled tiny glass. She thought only she was getting extra Horlicks; one full glass while my brother and I got just half a glass. Dopey girl!! Mommy was fooling you every time there was less Horlicks and you never knew.

10 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha! Loved the Horlicks thing ;)
    Strange that li'l boy wanted to be a robber :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha ha hee hee hee !! :D The Horlicks bit was super cute! And was your marriage plans! Looks like you are still in 2nd standard! :D :D We missed you ... where did you disappear for so long?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahhaahha..... rofll...



    and for those who think Deep is still single - SHE IS NOT:P

    ReplyDelete
  4. D...et tu? yr comment almost scared me heheh...about the slap for gossip...hehe.hey honestly yar..yr writing skill is exemplary...wish u the very best dear friend...and do stay connected..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Swaram. It was strange. That was the first time I heard something of that sort from a 6-year old.

    He he Ashwini.. My sister is, was and will always continue to be a dumbo. Ashwini, I was in the 2nd standard only for a year. Right now, we miss you. Come back.

    Shine, I AM SINGLE. Happily happily happily single.

    Ramesh, I Latin no know :) About the slap, I was kidding:) Thank you Ramesh. It feels so nice to get such lovely compliments time and again from such a great writer. A biiig thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. too many compliments a day keeps Deepthi's feet away!..


    now i kno y u always fly/jet so much...... alll des compliments reallly tk u to cloud 9....


    good one ya hero!...


    keep writing.. n tk daaat pic AWAY nowwwwwwwwwwwwww

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is one thing that ll c u thru in life happily yar deepthi..your sense of humour..thanks friend..keep up yr cheers..:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! Loved the Horlicks bit! It was super!

    ReplyDelete