Friday, November 6, 2009

I Believe In Miracles

I hate the way little children are made to write notes. I hate it the most. I was one of the toppers when it came to scoring marks in languages. No complicated words to remember. Answer the exams your way. Grammar and I were always the best of friends. The prose; write it your way. Memorizing poems was the only arduous task in the language papers. I remember! All my friends told me, "Sir reads only the first and last word of the poem. Learn everything but the poems." I used to learn only poems an hour before the exams, and, this time I did not read a word. I tried it for the first time and my Kannada sir had a good laugh. He read out the poem in front of the whole class and everyone laughed. What a meaningless poem it was!! It was wonderful; a jumbled composition of all the labyrinthine Kannada words I knew. Only the first and last word made sense. The main culprit, the one who asked me not to memorize the poems, laughed the most. In English, I was the topper. However, I remember one of my English exams where I scored only 46%. The reason: I did not write answers the way the teacher had given in the notes. I wrote it my way. Everything was correct, but, not presented the teacher's way. How would I write it her way when I hadn't written notes at all? I hated it. If ever I've written notes, it's a day before the note book was supposed to be submitted for inspection. Thank God those days are over. Nevertheless, I believed in miracles. Our headmistress, a nun, told us, "Don't steal. God works miracles. Your hand may get stuck to whatever you're stealing." Not that I wanted to steal, but, I believed what she said. I believed in miracles. I tried it on my notes. I knelt and prayed to God. "God, please fill my notebook with whatever notes my teacher gave. Please God. Pleee......z". Not once or twice; many a times I tried it. It didn't work. Why? I don't know. Can anyone tell me why? Why? Why?

6 comments:

  1. hahhaha.... good one... i too believe in miracles... Mannn good old days of school n studies is over... Thanks be to God now & forever AMEn..:)O

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! Deepthi, it is so wonderful to read about all this!! :D Anyways here is your 100 upon 100!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shine, I join you. Amen, Amen, Amen...

    Thank you so much Ashwini. I don't remember scoring any other century after class 4.

    Thank you Swapna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deepthi,
    this is my first visit to your blog ....
    nice write up...
    al interesting stuffs...:)
    Divya :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to my Divya and thank you so much. Hope you visit again.

    ReplyDelete