Monday, November 30, 2009

The Naughty Moppets

Last night, we were watching Home Alone on Star Movies. It reminded me of something that happened during our school days. All the boys in the neighbourhood wanted to watch the India vs ................ match. I don't remember the other team. It was happening at a stadium in Mangalore. They got back home late. Mommy asked my brother, "How was the match?". "Good", came the reply. We wanted to know how Rahul Dravid looked. We got the answer, "They were very far. Couldn't see the faces very clearly." A few days passed and one of my neighbours told mommy, "The other day, all these boys went and watched Home Alone in the theatre. How was it?". Clean bowled!!! Why did they lie? I don't know. But yes, Rahul Dravid who was at the stadium would look too small if you tried looking at him from the theatre. That wasn't a lie.

Another day in school. Come back, finish off the homework and go to play. May be, the day was too stymieing for all these little boys in the neighbourhood. I guess they thought a little nicotine would help. One of them gets two cigarettes. Quietly they squeeze themselves into the narrow space between our big water tank and compound wall. Wrong timing, I must say, wrong timing. My neighbour, a bank officer, comes back from work. He sees and smells smoke. A little solicitous, he walks a little closer towards the tank. Four boys, still in the primary school, sitting and inhaling the smoke. Clean bowled again!!!
Neighbours, neighbours everywhere. Concerned neighbours everywhere. Careful little boys, be careful!!!

5 comments:

  1. ya makes us wonder whether neighbours r really a blessing heheh..reg. the reason for the song...hey i dunno yar..just heard the song..have not watched that old movie...cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahhaha!!!!!!! i have some interesting neighbours!!!!!!!!!


    :)))))))))) i like the way u think out of the box n write abt random stuff!!!!!!!!!!!



    also write the number of tyms u fight with me...:P\

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the post! Neighbors are a boon for parents but not for the kids, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neighbours, Ramesh, are a boon for some and bane for the rest :) i guess!!??!!

    Thank you shine. Do I fight with you??? Oh I didn't know that :)

    Thank you Swapna. Yes, you're right(i too guess??!!??) :) :)

    ReplyDelete